Foundation Stage 2
A warm welcome to the Foundation Stage and to your child’s first year at school. For many of you this may be your first experience of school and we would like to provide you with a little bit an introduction to the school and our aims in the foundation stage.
We greatly value the children’s previous experiences and believe that learning through play and first hand experiences are vital to developing their thirst for knowledge. We are very fortunate to have excellent facilities to enable this to happen such as fantastic bright classrooms, a large and exciting outdoor learning environment and child friendly spaces to explore.
In the foundation stage we carefully plan topics which are guided by the children’s own interests and create meaningful opportunities for cross curricular learning.
Our aims are as follows:
We welcome parents to become involved in their child’s education and organise regular parent events throughout the year. We are always very happy to learn about your child’s successes so that we can celebrate in their achievements with you. This year we have introduced a ‘WOW’ moment home learning display in each of the classrooms for children to share significant steps in their learning.
The teachers in Foundation Stage are, Mrs Hynes and Mrs Webb (Cheltenham Class) and Mrs Garton (Sandown Class).
We look forward to embarking on this exciting learning journey with you!
Aims and Objectives for the Foundation Stage
We aim to:
- Provide a caring and secure environment, where each child is valued as an individual.
- Provide equal opportunities for all children, incorporating different cultures, religions and special needs
- Develop every child’s confidence and self-esteem to help them become caring and social individuals.
- Provide a flexible and stimulating curriculum across the seven areas of learning.
- Plan challenging learning experiences that have been informed by observation and assessment.
- Provide a range of opportunities that are both adult and child initiated within the classroom and outdoor classroom environment.
- Provide secure and safe learning environments indoors and out.
- Work in partnership with parents and within the wider context.
Foundation Stage Curriculum
We adhere to the Statutory Framework of the EYFS (2012) and the four guiding principles that shape and guide practice within our Early Years setting. These are:
- A Unique Child
- Positive Relationships
- Enabling Environments
- Learning and Development
We also have five brilliant teaching assistants who support both classes and 1:1's
Mrs Wise, Mrs Knight and Mrs Paterson
Mrs Allen 1:1 Teaching Assistant
Mrs Pickering 1:1 Teaching Assistant
Our topics this year in the foundation stage are:
Term 1 "Ready Steady Go"
Term 2 "I will not ever, never eat a tomato!"
Term 3 "Take One Picture".
Term 4 "Bob's Scrapheap challenge"
Term 5 "Jaspers Beanstalk".
Term 6 "Pirates love underpants".
Please click below to view unit newsletter and Learning Challenge plan